11 December, 2020
Warringah is one of the best places to live and I am always honoured to represent our beautiful area when I am in Federal Parliament. As we approach the summer break, I encourage you all to take a well earned break after a difficult year.
Please see below the work my team and I have been doing in the community and in Parliament.
SUBMISSIONS FOR CLIMATE CHANGE BILL PUBLISHED
The inquiry into the Climate Change Bill is now publishing submissions, before holding a number of public hearings. This will be the first parliamentary inquiry into why Australia should commit and legislate Net Zero by 2050. It will also examine why the legal framework proposed in the Climate Change Bill will assist every sector in assessing the risks, adaptation and resilience planning that is needed.
Please go to the committee website for more information House Standing Committee on the Environment and Energy
SPEECHES IN PARLIAMENT
- Question to The Prime Minister on whether he is going to present at the COP 26 Ambition Summit
- The importance of Sports Integrity
- Calling out Single Use plastics
- Calling on the government to take firm action legislate Net Zero by 2050
- Opposing the Family Law Court merger
- Asking the Government to accept NZ refugee deal
- Paying respect to Dame Margaret Georgina Constance Guilfoyle AC DBE
- Congratulating the 2021 Warringah Youth Ambassadors
- Calling for the Buy-Now Pay-Later Industry to have more safeguards
- The importance of Warringah tourism and saving the Manly ferries
- Seconding a Bill to stop Live Animal Exports
- Charity reforms and the work of Warringah charities
- Market Development Grants Legislation
- Greater flexibility for businesses through the Treasury Laws Amendment
To watch the speeches and read the transcripts click here: https://www.zalisteggall.com.au/parliament_updates
The NSW eastern coastline brings so much joy to our communities because of its rich marine life and beach activities. This week I stood outside Parliament House to again express my opposition to the proposed drilling stretching from Newcastle down to Manly, known as PEP-11 with pro surfers Belinda Baggs and Adrian Buchan.
I also spoke about it with Northern Beaches Community Radio's Wendy Frew which you can listen here: https://www.mixcloud.com/TheCoastRNB/episode-5-season-1-drilling-for-gas/
Australia has extended closing its borders until March 2021. We have been contacted by many constituents (or their loved ones) who have had difficulties returning to Australia because of the flight caps imposed on international arrivals. I have written to and met with Minister Peter Dutton about the issue and have written to the NSW Premier asking for NSW to increase quarantine capacity.
While the government has facilitated commercial flights from the United Kingdom, India and South Africa, and a number of states have offered to increase quarantine capacity, the sheer numbers of those returning from overseas mean that Australians are still stranded.
We urge all Australians still stranded overseas to register with DFAT at the following link: https://covid19.dfat.gov.au/citizeninformation/s/ providing detail of any vulnerabilities and to contact our office for further assistance.
10 TERMINAL REFERENCE GROUP
I have nominated to be on the 10 Terminal Reference Group that the Harbour Trust has formed to assist the 10 Terminal and Parklands Renewal Project. I would welcome your feedback on the future project direction of this important site at Middle Head in Mosman.
I was pleased to attend the official opening of Redlands Secondary School New Learning Hub. The new development is the result of a lot of vision and hard work from the school and their community.
- Manufacturing Modernisation Fund Round 2 Round 2 of the Manufacturing Modernisation Fund supports small and medium manufacturing businesses. It provides co-funded grants to transform manufacturing and to support job growth and a more highly skilled workforce.
Closes 21 January, 2021
- COVID-19 National: Business – Travel Agents COVID-19 Payment This program aims to assist travel agents in recognition that many continue to work hard processing consumer refunds, whilst unable to trade due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It will help to ensure the sector’s sustainability to assist Australian travellers with the new world of COVIDSafe travel. Payments will be scaled, with a minimum payment of $1,500 for a business with a turnover of $50,000 up to a maximum payment of $100,000 for a business with a turnover of $20 million.
Please see my website: https://www.zalisteggall.com.au/grants
- The NSW State government has published its long awaited Environmental Impact Statement for the Beaches Link and is now seeking submissions from the community about the project. https://www.planningportal.nsw.gov.au/major-projects/project/10456
There will be virtual information sessions on the following dates:
Seaforth/Killarney Heights/Frenchs Forest 6pm-7:30pm, Tuesday 19 January
Mosman/Middle Harbour 4pm – 5.30pm, Wednesday 20 January
Balgowlah 6pm-7.30pm, Wednesday 20 January
Northern Beaches Council – have your say on the future of Manly Town Hall Closes Wednesday 16 December
- SAVE THE DATE Australian Doctor’s International are holding a fundraiser on Saturday 27 February see this link: https://www.adi.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Save-the-Date-ADI-W4W-Fundraiser.png
My team and I are constantly working to find solutions for you, your family and friends and our general community. You can keep up to date at our website www.zalisteggall.com.au and get in touch by emailing [email protected] or calling the office on 9977 6411 if you have concerns.
Please forward this on to your network of family and friends in Warringah by sending them this link: https://www.zalisteggall.com.au/sign_up