13 November, 2020
SUBMISSIONS HAVE BEEN EXTENDED: you can now request for an extension. You can do this by emailing: [email protected]
13 November, 2020
The Bill has been referred to the House Standing Committee on the Environment and Energy and will now go to a public inquiry with submissions open immediately but closing on Friday 27 November!
So, what does that mean?
It means, now is YOUR chance to have YOUR say about why Australia needs the Climate Change Act by making a submission to the House Standing Committee on the Environment and Energy.
Who can make a submission?
ANY individual, organisation or business.
What does an effective submission look like?
- As long or as short as you like
- Unique, written in your own words. ‘Cut & paste’ submissions are not persuasive
- Include things that are relevant to you and reference the key elements of the Bill – see the section below “What should my submission include”
- Avoid unsupported claims or emotive language (the committee will assess the submissions in an objective and impartial way)
- If you would like to attend the public inquiry to give evidence, say so in your submission. The committee may invite a range of individuals and organisations to appear at the public hearings.
To make your submission go to the Inquiry homepage.
Submission close 5pm on Friday November 27th. So, get your submission written and delivered as soon as possible.
What should my submission include?
In your submission, you may wish to address any or all of the following aspects of the bill:
- Objects and long term emissions reduction commitment
- Why legislating Net Zero and regular 5 year budgets is a positive move
- Guiding principles to be applied
- Risk and adaptation assessments for all sectors
- Technology readiness assessment
- Independent climate change commission and skills needed on the commission.
For an overview of the Bill CLICK HERE
How do I make my submission?
Set up and validate a My Parliament Account, unless you already have one (takes five minutes)
Go to THIS LINK
Click on the “Upload Submission” button in the right-hand column
Under “Submitted Previously” click “Log on” and sign in
Under “Make your submission,” select the Climate Change Bill, and click next
Complete your personal or business details
Select your privacy level
- Upload your document (in one of these formats: PDF, DOC, DOCX, TXT)
If you have any problems with lodging your submission, contact the Committee Secretariat:
Note: When you get to the Committee page there are two bills listed, the first Bill is the primary legislation. The second Bill simply makes amendments to existing legislation impacted by the first. Your submission does not need to address each Bill separately.
What happens next?
The window for submission is short. Submission close 5pm on Friday November 27th. So, get your submission written and delivered as soon as possible.
If you’d like further information about the Act contact the ClimateActNow team at [email protected] and we’ll do our best to help.
Did you know?
…the difference between a Bill and an Act? A “Bill” is the initial proposed legislation drafted by a member of parliament for consideration and it becomes an “Act” when the final version is voted on by parliament, given the Royal Assent and adopted into law.
Do you like this page?