Thank you very much for joining Team Zali. We’re glad to have you on board and very much appreciate your help supporting Zali Steggall’s work as our Federal Member for Warringah and/or during the next election campaign.
We’d like to make sure that your participation is as enjoyable and positive as possible and that each Team Zali member feels appreciated and safe. Our team encourages open and respectful communication, equality, inclusion and fun.
This Volunteer Agreement outlines our mutual commitments and the standards of behaviour and expectations for Warringah Independent (WI) volunteers. This Agreement does not create an employment or contractor relationship between you and WI and it may be cancelled at any time by either of us. As a volunteer for Warringah Independent Limited and Zali Steggall’s campaign for the seat of Warringah I agree to the following:
All duties are on a voluntary basis and I understand I will not receive remuneration or payment for this work. Warringah Independent Limited and Zali Steggall value their volunteers and will endeavour to provide you with:
- an orientation and any training necessary for the volunteer role
- a safe environment for you to volunteer
- respect for your privacy, including keeping your private information confidential
- insurance to cover you for the volunteer duties you are authorised to perform.
In return, you agree to:
- act positively and in the best interests of Warringah Independent Limited and Zali Steggall’s campaign for the seat of Warringah
- demonstrate honest and decent behaviour
- be welcoming and inclusive of all
In your volunteer role we require you to:
- agree to participate in an induction program
- only undertake duties you are authorised to perform, and follow reasonable directions and instructions that you are given
- notify an officer or member of Warringah Independent Limited of any health and safety issues or potentially hazardous situations that may pose a risk to you or others, and report any accidents or incidents relating to staff, volunteers or the location
- use any property or equipment given to you safely and only for the purpose of volunteering and return it to the organisation when you finish
- behave appropriately and courteously to all staff and the public in the course of your role
- keep all information confidential if in the course of your duties you work with people's personal information in a database
- comply with the law at all times.
In New South Wales there are laws that protect volunteers in community organisations from civil liability (i.e. legal action like a negligence claim) in specific circumstances.
To ensure you are protected, you must perform voluntary community work that is directed or supervised by an incorporated community organisation or perform voluntary community work as an office holder of an incorporated community organisation.
It is important that you only perform the tasks as instructed by the organisation. To be covered by these laws it is also important that you are not affected by drugs or alcohol when you are volunteering. If you are unsure whether a task or work is authorised, please do not hesitate to talk to an officer or member of Warringah Independent Limited.
The health and safety of you and others
At Warringah Independent Limited volunteer safety, and the safety of everyone who is involved in our organisation, is a priority.
Under the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (NSW) (WHS Act) and other laws, Warringah Independent Limited has a duty of care to minimise risks to everyone affected by its conduct (including paid employees and volunteers).
It also means that as a volunteer, you may have WHS duties too.
- to take reasonable care for your own health and safety
- to take reasonable care for the health and safety of others
- to comply with any reasonable instruction by Warringah Independent Limited
- to let Warringah Independent Limited know of any concerns you may have about safety and/or fitness in undertaking our role, and
- to co-operate with any reasonable policies and procedures of Warringah Independent Limited. COVID-19 and workplace safety
When carrying out your volunteer activities, you agree to comply with COVID-19 public health orders, Government public health guidelines, all laws and reasonable directions from Warringah Independent Limited staff, campaign supervisors or volunteer supervisors concerning workplace and COVID-19 safety. These directions may change quickly and we all need to be ready to adapt.
We require you to be fully vaccinated for any volunteer activities where you could come into contact with the public or other volunteers or staff, such as - but not limited to - handing out flyers, attending banner events, undertaking reception duties at the Manly Electorate Office or the Mosman Community Hub. We may need to sight proof of vaccination.
You should not attend any activity if you have symptoms of COVID-19 and clearly should not attend if you have tested positive to COVID-19 and not been cleared by the relevant authority, or are otherwise required to isolate.
If you are not fully vaccinated, there are other opportunities to volunteer, such as letter writing and social media. If in doubt, please discuss your personal situation with us.
If at any time you are uncomfortable with carrying out any volunteer activity that is assigned to you, including due to any risk associated with COVID-19, please do not hesitate to reach out to any WI staff or volunteer supervisors, and we will do our best to accommodate you.
We are committed to providing adequate insurance cover for volunteers while carrying out volunteering roles that have been approved and authorised by us.
Warringah Independent Limited maintains Volunteer Insurance, Public & Products Liability Insurance and Association Liability Insurance. Insured persons include all voluntary workers of the insured aged under 85 years.
We want to let you know that the following events are unlikely to be covered by our insurance:
- actions that are beyond the scope of your volunteer role, or that occur without appropriate authority or permission from us
- criminal activity (including criminal charges arising out of driving incidents)
- dishonest or reckless activities
- where loss results from self-inflicted injury, the use of alcohol or drugs, mental illness, pregnancy and childbirth or a pre-existing condition.
There are also limitations on some benefits. If you would like to view a full copy of the full insurance policy, please contact us via [email protected]
Intellectual Property and Confidential Information
All volunteers for Warringah Independent Limited agree to transfer all intellectual property rights and interests (including copyright) in any ideas or materials they create relating to their provision of voluntary services at Warringah Independent Limited to Warringah Independent Limited.
Also volunteers consent to the use by Warringah Independent Limited of such creations in a manner reasonably contemplated by the voluntary services provided under this document. As a volunteer you also agree not to bring any claim for infringement of your moral rights in respect of that use.
You may be given access to Warringah Independents Confidential Information in the course of your volunteering. Confidential Information includes the personal information of other volunteers, information about the campaign strategy and any other information identified as confidential or which is by its nature confidential. You agree not to use or disclose any Confidential Information for any purpose other than the proper discharge of your duties as a volunteer of Warringah Independent.
If you pose for a photo or video while carrying out your volunteer activities, you agree with it being used for the purposes of marketing and promoting Warringah Independent Limited and Zali Steggall’s campaign for the seat of Warringah. This may include the use of your image in printed and digital marketing and on social media platforms.
When you complete your contact details, please tick the box to acknowledge that you have read and agreed to this Volunteer Agreement.
Thank you and welcome to Team Zali.
Current as at 3 November 2021
Do you like this page?