Warringah Independents Limited and the Zali Steggall Campaign for Warringah
This document is not intended to be a legally binding contract between us and it may be cancelled at any time by either us or you.
As a volunteer for Warringah Independents Limited and the Zali Steggall Campaign for Warringah, I agree to the following:
All duties are on a voluntary basis and I understand I will not receive remuneration or payment for this work.
Warringah Independents Limited and Zali Steggall values its volunteers and we will endeavour to provide you with:
- An induction, orientation and any training necessary for the volunteer role
- a safe environment for you to volunteer
- respect for your privacy, including keeping your private information confidential
- insurance to cover you for the volunteer duties you are authorised to perform.
We ask that you:
- act positively and in the best interests of Warringah Independents Limited and Zali Steggall’s campaign for election as federal member for Warringah.
- demonstrate honest and decent behaviour.
- be your best self
- be welcoming and inclusive of all
In your volunteer role we require you to:
- participate in an induction program.
- only undertake duties you are authorised to perform and obey reasonable directions and instructions.
- understand and comply with the organisation’s policies and procedures.
- notify a member of the campaign team of any health and safety issues or potentially hazardous situations that may pose a risk to you or others and report any accidents or incidents relating to staff, volunteers, or the location.
- use any property or equipment given to you safely and only for the purpose of volunteering and return it to the organisation when you finish.
- comply with the law at all times, and
In New South Wales there are laws that protect volunteers in community organisations from civil liability (i.e. legal action like a negligence claim) in specific circumstances.
We will explain more about these laws in your induction. To ensure you are protected you must perform voluntary community work that is directed or supervised by an incorporated community organisation or performing voluntary community work as an office holder of an incorporated community organisation. It is important that you only perform the tasks as instructed by the organisation. To be covered by these laws it is also important that you are not affected by drugs or alcohol when you are volunteering.
If you are unsure whether a task or work is authorised, please do not hesitate to talk to the campaign team.
The health and safety of you and others
At Warringah Independents Limited volunteer safety, and the safety of everyone who is involved in our organisation, is a priority.
In New South Wales, the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (NSW) (WHS Act) applies to many volunteers because all organisations that engage workers on a paid basis can owe WHS duties to everyone in the organisation (including volunteers). Also, there may be other legal actions (such as negligence claims) that mean we always need to consider work health and safety issues.
Under the WHS Act and other laws, Warringah Independents Limited has a duty of care to minimise risks to everyone affected by its conduct (including paid employees and volunteers).
It also means that as a volunteer, you may have WHS duties too. These include:
- to take reasonable care for your own health and safety
- to take reasonable care for the health and safety of others
- to comply with any reasonable instruction by Warringah Independents Limited
- to let Warringah Independents Limited know of any concerns you may have about safety and/or fitness in undertaking our role, and
- to cooperate with any reasonable policies and procedures of WIL
We are committed to providing adequate insurance cover for volunteers while carrying out their volunteering roles that have been approved and authorised by us.
Warringah Independents Limited maintains both Volunteer Insurance and Public Liability Insurance.
We want to let you know that the following events are unlikely to be covered by our insurance:
- actions that are beyond the scope of your volunteer role, or that occur without appropriate authority or permission from us
- criminal activity (including criminal charges arising out of driving incidents)
- dishonest or reckless activities
All volunteers at Warringah Independents Limited agree to transfer all intellectual property rights and interests (including copyright) in any ideas or materials they create relating to their provision of voluntary services at Warringah Independents Limited to Warringah Independents Limited.
Also volunteers are taken to consent to the use by Warringah Independents Limited of such creations in a manner reasonably contemplated by the voluntary services provided under this document. As a volunteer you also agree not to bring any claim for infringement of your moral rights in respect of that use.